Hong Kong and GBA as a business centre
Located on the southern coast of the country and heart of Asia, Hong Kong enjoys fortuitous geographic advantage and is a world city leveraging on the Mainland while engaging the world. Hong Kong is well connected to Asia's key markets, making it an ideal location for businesses to tap into the multitude of opportunities in the Mainland and Asia-Pacific region. Being the most international city in the Greater Bay Area, Hong Kong has a business-friendly environment, good tradition of the rule of law, free economic system, and well-established information technology infrastructure and financial system, as well as a wealth of high-end talents and professional services with extensive knowledge on global markets.
World’s Most Competitive Economy
Hong Kong has been recognised as one of the world’s most competitive economy. The International Institute for Management Development (IMD) World Competitive Yearbook 2021 ranked Hong Kong 7th out of 64 economies.
The ranking reflects the consistent strides Hong Kong has made in building a favourable business environment. IMD assessed the economy across four competitiveness factors; economic performance, government efficiency, business efficiency and infrastructure. Among various sub-factors, Hong Kong is ranked top globally in “Business legislation”. Hong Kong's rankings in "International trade", "Tax policy", "Finance" and "Management practices" also remained in the top-three positions globally.
Impressive international reputations
• was ranked by Canada's Fraser Institute the freest economy amongst 162 economies in the world in its Economic Freedom of the World: 2020 Annual Report.
• ranked third in the World Economic Forum's 2019 Global Competitiveness Report, up four places.
• ranked the third easiest place to do business by the World Bank's Doing Business 2020 Report, up one place from last year.
• was recognised by the International Institute for Management Development World Competitiveness Yearbook 2020 as the fifth most competitive economies in the world.
• According to the World Trade Organization, Hong Kong ranked the eighth largest trading entity in the world in 2019.
Strong Intellectual Property Protection
The Government of Hong Kong SAR has specific policies and legal protection in place for intellectual property rights. The city’s intellectual property laws have been developed to reach the highest international standards to create a free and fair business environment.