Short-term visitors can make the most of Hong Kong’s light-touch visa policies and are permitted to conduct business negotiations and sign contracts while on a visitor’s visa or entry permit. Hong Kong's immigration policies admits Visa-free entry for visitors from 170 countries/territories. Swedish citizens can (January 2023) enter Hong Kong for a Visa-free period of 90 days.

Foreign nationals working in Hong Kong for longer periods of time need a visa before they can live or work in Hong Kong. There are different types of Working Visas available where the most common are listed below. More detailed information is available at InvestHK's webpage.


Hong Kong Visa Types

General Employment Policy (GEP)

To employ overseas staff to come to work under the GEP you must demonstrate that a prospective employee possess special skills, knowledge or experience of value to and not readily available in Hong Kong may apply. The GEP is quota-free and non-sector specific.


Investment as Entrepreneurs

The applicant should be in a position to prove that they can make substantial contribution to the economy of the HKSAR. The startup business may be considered favourably if it is supported by a government-backed programme with a rigorous vetting and selection process.


Admission Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals (ASMTP)

Chinese residents of the Mainland China who possess special skills, knowledge or experience of value to and not readily available in Hong Kong may apply to come to work under the ASMTP. The ASMTP is quota-free and non-sector specific.


Technology Talent Admission Scheme (TechTAS)

TechTAS provides a fast-track arrangement for eligible companies to admit non-local technology talent to undertake research and development (R&D) work for them in Hong Kong. Eligible companies would first have to apply for a quota by the Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC). A company allotted with a quota can accordingly sponsor an eligible person to apply for an employment visa/entry permit within the 12-month quota validity period. The company also has to fulfil the requirement to employ new local employees in technology-related work.


Dependant VISA

People who successfully apply for a visa can bring their spouse and dependent children under the age of 18, provided they have sufficient funds and suitable accommodation. The limit on their stay is the same as the visa holder – who is officially the ‘sponsor’. A spouse holding a Dependent visa can study or undertake any type of lawful employment in Hong Kong.